1. Read the passage carefully.
2. Underline/ highlight the same points, related/ focused on the similar aspect with one colour- for example, points with focus on temperature, highlight in red; water shortage in blue and so on.( The points may be spread across the passage- they need to read as one point!)
3. The similar points must be combined, clubbed and collated. (The 3 C’s)
4. No credit is given for the similar points expressed as different points.
5. However, every different point must be given separately; clearly identified and written clearly.
6. Write each point as a fragment; as few words as possible to make meaningful sense/ not complete sentences.
7. There MUST be NO details, data, examples etc./only the gist of the point.
8. There should be no repetition at all.
9. In NOTE-MAKING, you may use the words given in the passage; better to change/ the same words are acceptable though in note-making.
10. A total of 15 POINTS is a MUST.
11. Arrange them in the right order of priority/(when you use the same colour to highlight/ number them at the same time)
12. A systematic organisation is very important.
13. ABSOLUTELY necessary/MANDATORY/OBLIGATORY to stick to the WORD LIMIT Given.
1. Use the given points in NOTE-MAKING to write the summary.
2. A good/ perfect note- making automatically leads to a GOOD/PERFECT SUMMARY!
3. MOST IMPORTANT TO REPLACE EACH DIFFICULT WORD WITH OWN WORDS. DO NOT REPEAT THE WORDS GIVEN IN THE ORIGINAL PASSAGE- for example- "old" for "ancient"/ "important" for "significant"/ "change" for "transformation" etc.
4. Write the SUMMARY as a continuous paragraph, without splitting into parts.
5. MUST FOLLOW THE GIVEN WORD LIMIT VERY STRICTLY/MUST NOT EXCEED/ NEGATIVE MARKING FOR EXCEEDING
5. All the points taken down in NOTE-MAKING MUST be included.
6. The SUMMARY generally comprises 1/3rd the length of the original
-NOTE: A GOOD PRELIMINARY WORK FROM THE FIRST STEP WILL LEAD YOU ON TO A GOOD SUMMARY.
-USE NO UNNECESSARY WORDS/ BE CONCISE/ TO THE POINT/PERFECTLY FOCUSED.
-DO AWAY WITH ALL UNNECESSARY WORDS/EXPRESSIONS.